Winnie-the-Pooh (1926) is A.A. Milne’s first book of stories about Winnie-the-Pooh. More stories will follow in The House at Pooh Corner. The book tells the adventures of a very human teddy bear, Winnie-the-Pooh and his equally human (but very different from Pooh and from each other) friends: Piglet, a timid toy pig; Eeyore, a lugubrious donkey; Owl, a real “wise owl”; and the extroverted Rabbit. Soon Kanga, a motherly kangaroo, and her irrepressible young son, Roo, are also introduced. Tigger, the bouncy enthusiastic tiger is not introduced until the sequel, The House at Pooh Corner.
Portions of the book were adapted from previously published stories. The first chapter was adapted from “The Wrong Sort of Bees”, a story published in the London Evening News in its issue for Christmas Eve 1925.
Winnie the Pooh is still in copyright in many parts of the world, but the text (not the pictures by Shepard) is out of copyright in New Zealand since the author, A. A. Milne died in 1956. I reproduce the stories here for those living in places where they are thus legally free to listen to them 🙂
Since these stories are still copyright in the USA and Europe I have not been able to produce them for Librivox or Legamus, and so they have not had the same proofing as my other readings, so if you spot an error, or a place where the reading or sound quality could be better please help me by letting me know (do use the comments below).
Audio Book: M4B format available
Here are the individual stories (MP3 format):
- Chapter 1: In Which We Are Introduced to Winnie-the-Pooh and Some Bees and the Stories Begin
- Chapter 2: In Which Pooh Goes Visiting and Gets into a Tight Place
- Chapter 3: In Which Pooh and Piglet Go Hunting and Nearly Catch a Woozle
- Chapter 4: In Which Eeyore Loses a Tail and Pooh Finds One
- Chapter 5: In Which Piglet Meets a Heffalump
- Chapter 6: In Which Eeyore has a Birthday and Gets Two Presents
- Chapter 7: In Which Kanga and Baby Roo Come to the Forest and Piglet has a Bath
- Chapter 8: In Which Christopher Robin Leads an Expotition to the North Pole
- Chapter 9: In Which Piglet is Entirely Surrounded by Water
- Chapter 10: In Which Christopher Robin Gives Pooh a Party and We Say Goodbye